Because illegal means illegal. Yeah, Wonkettes!
She is introducing a bill that if passed will “create a really hostile environment for illegal migrants”. “What we don’t want is a situation where people think that they can come here and overstay because they’re able to access everything they need,” May has said.
Here is what the bill will do:
• Require private landlords to check the immigration status of their tenants.
• Require temporary migrants, such as overseas students, who have only a “time-limited” immigration status, to make a contribution to the NHS. A £200 levy has been mentioned as an option.
• Require banks to check against a database of known immigration offenders before opening a bank account.
• Create new powers to check the immigration status of driving licence applicants and to revoke the licences of overstayers.
• Introduce a “deport first, appeal later” policy for thousands facing removal who face no “risk of serious irreversible harm” from being sent back, and reduce the grounds for appeal from 17 to four.